Already at the age of 8, Guy was eagerly busy at his grandfather’s (Lambert De Clercq) place in Rozebeke, taking away the pigeons for training races and short-distance races. This experience and taking away the clock encouraged Guy to start as a pigeon racer himself.
Consequently, Guy started racing with some of his grandfather’s pigeons on the short-distant races. The greatest triumph was the birth of the “Quevrain-miracle”, ring 4222963/1969. This pigeon managed to race 49 times out of 50 in the top 3 as yearling, 2-year and 3-year pigeon, with 34 first prizes including the guarantee.
After a few years, Guy gradually transferred from short-distance (speed) to medium-long distance with pigeons obtained from a.o. Achiel Romeyns (Sint Goriks Oudenhove), Janssens-pigeons, and Norbert De Schrijver (Balegem) from his “Zwarte Jolie”, in which the Janssens-bloodline was also present. The results in the SOM-union (St.-Maria-Oudenhove – Ophasselt – Mere) were very good and Guy even won the old pigeons Champions title (1 & 2).
Under the influence of, and by obtaining long-distance pigeons of Willy
Van De Maele (Sint-Jans-Molenbeek) and Gerard Labiau
(Zegelsem), Guy steadily transferred to long-distance races.
The first long-distance success came with the ‘Fondman’ (ring 4020060/1990), which won 16 long-distance races in a row, but sadly didn’t return from the Barcelona-flight as 5-year old pigeon. However, in the same year this pigeon still managed to pass on his qualities to the future Cahorswinner of 1998, the bird who is also the ancestor of the current long-distance colony.
For an elaborate list of prizes of the Cahors, click here. For an elaborate list of prizes of the Cahors-dynasty, click here.
Here are a few articles about this success:
One year later there was another big success:
- The ‘Cahors’ won 29/255 locally and 571/19096 nationally
- ‘La Souterraine’: yearlings of 11/9/1999:
- Locally out of 319 p: 2-3-10-11-15-18-43-57-58-81 and 91/22 p
- Zone B: 2989 p: 1-4-95-115-135-156-406-514-544-601-702/22 p
- Nationally 9061 p : 9-18-341-412-483-545-1182-1472-1543-1687-1978-2247
The doping test as a consequence of this magnificent result was negative.
Zone-winner was ring 4041931/99 (Click for pedigree).
The pigeons that arrived 2nd and 4th in this race, nest-sisters 4041945/99 and 4041946/99, later became the ancestors of the colony. The mother of these pigeons, ring 4452448/97, was obtained from Gerard Labiau (Zegelsem), and bred from his old colony (1st National Brive) with ring 3196364/96 of Sierens-Vanden Broecke (pedigree of these 2 breeding hens, click here.
The 3 regular breeding couple then were:
- T1: 4555964/98 x 4452448/97 (see above)
- T2: 4247518/95 “De Cahors” x 4041945/99 from T 1
- T3 : 4442220/97 (Labiau) x 4041946/99 from T 1 (click here for photo en list of prizes of 'Halfbroer Perpignan' 4442220-97)
More long-distance investments:
- Two pigeons 4262240/2002 en 4262279/2002 were obtained from the Jozef Bracke sale (pigeons Carteus)
- Cock pigeon 4332996/2001 directly from Hector Lacroix (Ooike), which is a son of the nest-sister of the 1st International 1996 at Roland De Keyzer (Kwaremont); the father is a grandson of ‘de wittenbuik’ of Gaby Vanden Abeele (Dentergem). Click here for pedigree of cock pigeon 4332996/2001.
- Cock pigeon 41099312/2003 of Claeys Noel (Landegem). Click here for pedigree of cock pigeon 41099312/2003.
- Cock pigeon 4178223/2005 of Roger De Busschere (Lokeren).
And last but not least, some very valuable breeding material was bought at André Brouckaert’s colony (Wervik):
- Ring 3062864/2003 (‘Den Andre’)
- Ring 3062849/2003 (‘Elske’)
- Ring 3062857/2003 (‘Wiske’) from “De Narbonne” 3000879/1995 x daughter ‘princeske’ 3320435/99 (Etienne De Vos)
- Ring 3062851/2003 (‘Irène’) from “De Schuwen” 3001188/96 x 3001543/95 breed ‘Van Bruane’
- Ring 3062865/2003 (‘jonge Pieter’) from 3001725/94 ‘De Pieter’ x 3271087/97 sister Narbonne
- Ring 3271091/97 (daughter Jupiter) from 3344771/83 Jupiter x 30016153/94
(this is the sister of the Jupiter hen 3000847/91 who’s the mother
of the 1st International Barcelona 1995 at Gijselbrecht – Knesselare).
For some remarkable results from 2000 up till now, see results page or click here.
To conclude this short overview, it deserves mentioning that Guy has won the Honorary Prize of the town of Brakel ("Nationale prijskamp Bourges der Krijgsgevangenen") 4 times, in 1995, 1997, 2003 and 2005 (click year to see the Award):
- Award presented by the representative of the King: click for photo (2004).
- Award presented by the Chairman of the House of Representatives - mayor Herman De Croo: click for photo (2005).
- Letter received as a result of the award in 2005.